Soft drinks like Coca-Cola and Sprite are necessities we need in order to survive the heatwave in Singapore. Instant noodles are a Godsend when it comes to dealing with tight deadlines or when we are just plain lazy to prepare a proper meal. However, if you eat and drink both of these food together, you might be in for a very nasty surprise.
In Chongqing, China, a man nearly died after eating too much of these two food. The man, known as Xiao Cao, decided to cook himself a supper that consisted of not one, but two packets of instant noodles. After having his noodles, he then downed two bottles of soft drinks and even munched on potato chips and some other snacks.
Very soon after his indulgent supper, he experienced massive bloating and abdominal pains in his stomach. He was quickly sent to the hospital, where doctors found that his stomach and intestines were swollen with a lot of gas. In the end, they had to use a tube to transfer the gas out and expel it from his body.
A science profesor from Chongqing Technology and Business University explained this unfortunate incident as a result of a strong acid-base reaction. Instant noodles contain alkaline substances like edible glue while soft drinks are acidic. The resulting reaction produces a great deal of carbon dioxide in the gut, resulting in his swollen stomach and intestines.
Even though some of us may also drink coke and eat maggi mee at the same time, you have to remember that Xiao Cao actually had double servings of each food and even ate additional snacks along with his meal.
Therefore, even though the carbon dioxide gas resulting from the meal is usually expelled via our burps, Xiao Cao’s extreme case was likely due to the immense quantity of his supper, said the professor.
So be careful of your diet or you might just swell up like a balloon!
Top Image: Shutterstock