Everyone loves fried potatoes! Begedil, a Malay style fried potato patty made with mashed potatoes, spices and Chinese celery. It can be served along side mee-soto but trust us, it’s just as good on its own!
- 500g potatoes sliced
- 500ml oil for deep frying
- 50g chopped Chinese celery
- 50g fried shallots
- ¼ tsp white pepper powder
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ tsp sugar (adjust to taste)
- Peel potatoes skin, and cut slices
- Deep fry in hot oil till potatoes soften just enough to push through with a chopstick
- Drain potatoes and transfer to pot to be mashed
- Add the following 50g chopped Chinese celery, 50g fried shallots, ¼ tsp white pepper powder, ¼ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp cumin powder, ¼ tsp salt (adjust to taste), and ½ tsp sugar (adjust to taste)
- Mash and mix evenly
- Divide mash into six portions, roll them into balls and press them down slightly
- Beat an egg, then coat begedil in egg wash and drop it in the oil.
- Deep fry till golden brown, and when they float to the top they are ready
- Remove and drain with paper towel
- Serve with sambal chili.